Tuesday 15 January 2013

Gordon Strachan to lead Scotland to Rio !

The march to the World Cup in Rio got back on track today with Gordon Strachan signing as the new Scotland football manager.

It's been a bumpy ride so far for Scotland with just 2 points from our first four games so it will be a challenge for Strachan to turn things around.

Strachan won 50 caps for Scotland and played in two World Cup finals in Spain and Mexico in 1982 and 1986 respectively.

The former manager Craig Levein is still in legal dispute with the SFA over his sacking last November after a disappointing time at the helm. He is reportedly wanting his severance money all at once rather than in £37,000 instalments every month for the next 18 months.

Strachan is best known for his off the cuff comments at press conferences and ITV have listed a few of his memorable quotes....

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Strachan: "Velocity" (walks off).

Reporter: "Gordon, do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?"

Strachan: "I don't care, I'm Scottish."

Reporter: "Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?"

Strachan: "No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said: 'No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless.'"

Reporter: "Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?"

Strachan: "No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah."

Youtube has a good compilation from soccer am..

So even if Scotland crash and burn ( again) at least we'll get a more light hearted press conference to cheer us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.